Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Road trip - Day 2

Sacramento to Ashland, OR

Our first full day on the road was Saturday. We got out of Sacramento a bit late but we're on vacation so there is no real schedule to keep. The drive up I-5 between Sacramento and Redding is much more interesting than the drive between Kettlemen City and Sacramento. The landscape is covered with farms and fields. I could have spent all day just taking pictures of rural decay. Stopping constantly is hard on the kids so I had to stick to taking pictures of what you can see from the rest areas.





We stopped for lunch (Japanese, yum) in Redding. When we were in Sacramento, Stan told us about the Sundial Bridge in Redding. I never would have looked for such an amazing piece of modern architecture in Redding. I know, never assume. It spans the Sacramento River at Turtle Bay (which is another really interesting place I wish we'd had time to explore).







2:45pm



It was really hot outside for us coastal folks. It was about 100 degrees according to our car, probably much hotter in the sun. Once we got across, we enjoyed the shade of the span and cooled our feet in the river.





Just north of Redding is Shasta Lake and Dam. We stopped at the dam visitor's center to let kids have a cool place to play for a bit before we drove on.



The next stop was Ashland, OR. On the way, we paused at a view point to take a quick picture of Mount Shasta.



I am sad I did not take any pictures of Ashland. Tom is always giving me a hard time about living life through the filter of a lens so I left the camera in the hotel while we went out for the evening. I thought Ashland was great. If I could wrap my head around the colder winters, I think I could live there.

0 comments:

flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from kamundse. Make your own badge here.

Followers

License

These photos are not free for you to link to, republish, copy, or download just because they are on the internet. If you would like to use a photograph you see here, contact me. kamundse at gmail dot com

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP