Friday, August 31, 2007

Road trip - Day 6

Whidbey Island, WA

When we were camping in Kings Canyon earlier in the summer I bought us a National Parks passport and this year's stamp set. The stamp for the Pacific Northwest region was of this great lighthouse in Ebey's Landing National Historic Reserve. As soon as I saw it I knew I wanted to go there.

Ebey's Landing is right near here on Whidbey Island so we took a day trip there on Wednesday. There are two ways to get to the island. We opted for the land route, which is the bridge at Deception Pass at the north tip of the island.



We parked just on the other side of the bridge and enjoyed the view of the water. I wish I could photograph smell. It smelled like Christmas trees.



Our next stop was the beach at Ebey's Landing.



A local guide at the Deception Pass bridge told us there were beautiful agate stones at the beach so the girls spent some time looking for some.



Mae was content to sit and just enjoy whatever rocks were nearby.



After the beach it was time for lunch. We stopped in a quaint little town called Coupeville.





The town has a beautiful view of Penn Cove and Mt. Baker in the distance.



We headed to Fort Casey State Park in search of the lighthouse. I was also hoping to find out where the passport stamp location was for Ebey's Landing since we had not yet found a ranger station or visitor center. I had no idea what Fort Casey was. The girls thought it was great. Autumn declared it to be part of the kids world wonders for great play structures.





They still have two of the 10-inch 1895 guns at the fort. They were pretty amazing to see.





We also found the Admiralty Head Lighthouse I saw in my passport book.

1 comments:

Simone 10:12 PM  

Gorgeous photos, K...I love reading about your trip!!

flickr

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from kamundse. Make your own badge here.

Followers

License

These photos are not free for you to link to, republish, copy, or download just because they are on the internet. If you would like to use a photograph you see here, contact me. kamundse at gmail dot com

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP